Finished the first layer for the bower

I feel a bit like a baker making a cake right now, everything for this one has to be done in layers! Normally I just sew as I go and add (or remove) if needed, but I've got to do things a certain way or the scale will be all wrong.

So I've finished the first layer, which is pieces of wool fabric sewn on to the panel using appletons crewel wool in various shades. I used running, whipped running, herringbone and a few straight stitches.

Here it is:

I love how messy and rough it is, when the couched threads are on it should have a really textural effect.

More to follow...