And now for the sewing...

I've finished cutting out the top! I'm quite happy with it actually, I think there is a strong chance it might warp a bit while I'm sewing, but for now it looks ok. Here it is:

The spider will go in the top left hand corner on the light grey fabric. While I was working today I spotted a tiny black ant crawling across the fabric, you can just about see him below on his trek:

which made me think I could do a trail of ants climbing the tree as well. I've embroidered some ants before and always love sewing them. 

I've started sewing and this is the first little section that's put together. I'm using a varigated brown/grey thred on top, and I'm not 100% sure about it yet. I'm wondering if I should use green for green, brown for brown etc. At the same time I actually like the look of the contrasting thread, as it highlights the abstractness (not a real word) of the pattern, I don't want it to look too clean and neat. Close up here:

This is the first piece I sewed, after it has been ironed. I thought I would start sewing with the felt, as I have quite a bit more of it and thought it was safest to start with something I could replace. I used a warm iron on the reverse.

And this is the first piece before I ironed it, you can see how much more lumpy it is, and I found the heat actually makes the edges a little bit 'fuzzier' if you know what I mean.