Finished the challenge

 
 
I'm pleased with it, I think it took about 8 hours all up, and it was definately good practice. I used a lot of zig zag stitch which was actually really effective, especially in the silver thread. I also used a metallic needle for the first time in the machine and it made a big difference, although I've got no idea why since it looks exactly the same as my other needles.

I tried out the shiva white irredescent paint stick, which was good in just adding a bit of interest into the wings.

I had sewed the eye, and tiny bit of detail to his head, but everything else was done by machine! Considering the state of my dodgy old Janome I'm quite impressed.

Back to the poppies now!