Think I've got the panels working.

I've got them to work by backing them with interfacing, then inserting the cut ribbon in between and sewing. As the black fabric won't iron flat at all I'm having to sew the panels back to the seam so they will lie flat. You can get an idea of the effect with this pic, but the colours are way out (shouldn't take photos on my phone at night).

You can get a better idea of the colours here, I'm planning on quilting the panels to the quilt with red thread to emphasise the poppys. I'm still unsure about the writing on the panels, the closer I get to the work the less I think I need any names at all. I need to think about it.