I thought I'd better practice with one chair,

Rather than take on the whole 8 dining chairs straight away. I have two old Walnut dining chairs that have a padded seat so I tackled one of them for practice. My mum made us a beautiful quilt for our wedding, it's all pink and purple and green, so I used a piece of purple fabric I bought ages ago for the base.

Here's what I did step by step:

1. I removed the padded seat from the chair frame and took the cover off the base. The foam is still great so there was no need to replace it.

2. I then unpicked the cover where it had been sewn on the corners and ironed it. I used the cover as a template for cutting the batting.

image

3. I cut the purple fabric just larger than the batting and pinned the layers together.

4. I used free motion quilting to outline some of the flowers in a few different colors.

image

And you can see the back and outline a bit better here

image

5. It looked a bit boring with just the quilting so I added a layer of gold petals. I covered them with greaseproof paper when I had them where I wanted them rather than pining each one individually and then quilted them into place with a dark grey thread.

image

6. I tore away the paper, then added beads and sequins by hand to the center.

image

7. To make the bee I used dark green velvet and some light green organza. I thought more yellow and gold would have been over kill.

image

I used black and green thread for the outline then used thick white tulle for the wings.

8. I ironed the whole thing, stretched it over the base then stapled the living daylights out of it and screwed it back onto the frame.

Ta da!!!!

image

image

image

image