How to make a boot Lucy style.

wpid-20131027_220343.jpg

Had an amazing weekend, we had great friends over for dodgy Chinese on Friday night, then took the kids for a scoot around the botanic gardens on Saturday, and James took the kids to the movies this morning so I could sort out my presentation for next weekend. I snuck in some sneaky sewing and now I've finished two of the shoes for the ten quilt. This is Rosie's boot

image

And I also finished one of James's boots

image

Here's how I made it:

I cut out a template for the wadding. I used really thin stuff with one sticky side.

image

Once I had my wadding cut to the right shape I ironed it to the back of the boot fabric. I dyed the fabric last week thinking it was for something else but loved the colour so it's now boots.

image

I then pinned the wadding/fabric right sides together with the backing fabric

image

And then sewed around the edge. It helps if you leave a millimeter or two around the edge of the wadding, it makes the piece sit flatter once it's turned over.

image

image

I then cut away the waste from the edges and trimmed the curves, and turned it right side out using the bit I'd left open. This bit will be hidden behind another boot, but you can snip a hole in the middle of the backing fabric and turn it that way if you don't want broken edges.

image

It looks a bit puffy once it's turned, but that goes once you iron it. Using my trusty tweezers helps get the corners out properly.

image

I put the greaseproof template back over the quilting design - I just copied from the back of the quilt I made previously - and traced the details. This meant I could put the template wrong way up under the monoprint sheet to use as a guide for applying the paint.

image

I used watered down paint for the monoprint since I didn't want a sharp look. You can see how much of a difference it can make with just a little bit of paint.

image

I then pinned the template back onto the painted boot and quilted over the design lines.

image

image

Picking away the greaseproof template is always the worst bit.

image

I then added some more quilting detail, since I'm trying to make the laces stand out.

image

I highlighted using the shiva sticks (love them!) and ironed to heat set it.

Voila!

image

Here's the finished boot next to one that's not been quilted yet.