I've been thinking for a while that since painting canvas is just cotton with a primer there is no reason why I couldn't paint on it and then sew. There are lots of benefits, it's easy to stretch over a frame and hang, it's cheaper to use watercolour or oil paint (although I haven't tried it with oils) and I can leave negative space blank without having to quilt it.
So before I try to source canvas I pulled apart one of my small spare ones to give it a go!
I painted part of it first - nothing complex but it gave me somewhere to start. I just used my cheap watercolors, and they didn't work exactly the same but I'm still pleased with how they came out.
I used a denim needle in the machine, and same color thread in the bobbin is important as you can see through to the bottom thread.
I warmed up with my name.
Then went around the edges of the fish
Which wasn't as effective as the heavier stitching around the flower.
Overall I'm quite pleased with it, I'm thinking there will be lots of issues to overcome but it's a nice start.