Not quite quilting,

I've been super busy this week, getting the fabric sorted for the Anzac Quilts as well as a couple of uni projects which are due in the next few weeks. The first one is for foundations of visual art, and we pretty much had free rein to pick whichever medium we wanted, as long as we worked to the theme of reckless and recycle. I really enjoyed lino cutting in class and wanted to see if I could print onto fabric.

I did a little bit of Internet research (I love crafty diy blogs) and they suggested using screen printing ink, so that's what I've used.

Here is the first image, cut but not yet printed (recycle):

image

And the other image (reckless):

image

And the printed images:

image

image

I found the screen printing ink to be a bit thicker and it was difficult to get a clear image. Too much ink and it turned to mush but any less and you got a faded print. I'm looking forward to taking the blocks into class and printing them onto paper to see what they look like when they're really sharp. I don't mind the faded look, but I know it's not really cool to have faded prints on paper.

For the painting subject I have to respond to the themes of popular and alternative, and they have to be able to be classed as a painting.

To cut a long story short I think that one persons popular is another person's alternative, so I've chosen to do two self portraits, one as arty mum me and one as raafie me. They're in the same format as the James quilt since I liked it so much!

Here is the art/mum one:

image

It's definately a bit rough, I need a heap more practice, but I think it had potential. I actually constructed it in much the same way that you can use raw edge applique with quilting, lots of layers of painted paper.

image

It's school holidays here now so I'll probably need to slow down a bit, and start packing for the AQC next weekend!