shoe quilt

Phew! The boot quilt was accepted.

Lucy Carroll detail Ten

I don't know why but I just had a strong feeling like it wouldn't get in, but it did!!! I ended up calling it 'Ten shoes for ten feet'. So, for everyone who wants to see it, the premiere will be at the AQC in Melbourne, April 10-13 2014,

http://www.aqc.com.au/Melbourne/

You will also be able to see it at the Craft and Quilt shows around Australia during the year.

Here's a sneak peek:

Lucy Carroll detail Ten

 

Slowly getting there...

I attached the boots and shoes tonight, just one shoe of Linc's to go and then I can attach the panel with linc and James. Sorry the pic isn't very good, it's quite late and I can't be bothered getting the good camera out so you've got my dodgy phone pic. I'm also down to teasers so I don't spoil the big reveal if it is accepted, this is the top of one of the boots with the laces.

image

I've been a bit quiet,

Since we went to Mel's birthday this weekend. It was great to see her and all of her amazing family, and I got to give her the koby quilt as well. We took Ethan with us and it was brilliant to have some time alone with him. He's so lovely and well behaved he can get looked over in the face of Lincoln and his craziness. We spent the whole weekend chilling out and the boys spent a few hours in the pool escaping the heat on Saturday.

This morning we went back to normal, which meant I got very little done during the day but I managed to get the background of the boot quilt together tonight.

The bottom of the quilt (the paving in the picture) is now echo quilted, and I'm planning on painting some shadows in next. Sorry the alignment is wrong but I can't work out how to rotate it!

image

And I also quilted the bricks. I'm having to stop myself filling in all the bricks, but I figure I can add some more tomorrow if it needs it.

image

It's getting exciting now, I'm finally getting to the bit where I get to put it all together!

I've been working on the bit with James and Linc

I cut out the panel with James and Lincoln that I'd done for the first try at the boot quilt. I liked that bit the best of the old quilt, it had seemed like a shame to not use it for something. I also like how it's a bit vague compared to the shoes. It's all put together with raw edge applique and it's just a bit rough. I did some work on it last night, it worked out well since I could keep James company while he was studying. He kept telling me off for singing along to the radio so I'm not really sure he appreciated my company ;)

image

How to make a boot Lucy style.

wpid-20131027_220343.jpg

Had an amazing weekend, we had great friends over for dodgy Chinese on Friday night, then took the kids for a scoot around the botanic gardens on Saturday, and James took the kids to the movies this morning so I could sort out my presentation for next weekend. I snuck in some sneaky sewing and now I've finished two of the shoes for the ten quilt. This is Rosie's boot

image

And I also finished one of James's boots

image

Here's how I made it:

I cut out a template for the wadding. I used really thin stuff with one sticky side.

image

Once I had my wadding cut to the right shape I ironed it to the back of the boot fabric. I dyed the fabric last week thinking it was for something else but loved the colour so it's now boots.

image

I then pinned the wadding/fabric right sides together with the backing fabric

image

And then sewed around the edge. It helps if you leave a millimeter or two around the edge of the wadding, it makes the piece sit flatter once it's turned over.

image

image

I then cut away the waste from the edges and trimmed the curves, and turned it right side out using the bit I'd left open. This bit will be hidden behind another boot, but you can snip a hole in the middle of the backing fabric and turn it that way if you don't want broken edges.

image

It looks a bit puffy once it's turned, but that goes once you iron it. Using my trusty tweezers helps get the corners out properly.

image

I put the greaseproof template back over the quilting design - I just copied from the back of the quilt I made previously - and traced the details. This meant I could put the template wrong way up under the monoprint sheet to use as a guide for applying the paint.

image

I used watered down paint for the monoprint since I didn't want a sharp look. You can see how much of a difference it can make with just a little bit of paint.

image

I then pinned the template back onto the painted boot and quilted over the design lines.

image

image

Picking away the greaseproof template is always the worst bit.

image

I then added some more quilting detail, since I'm trying to make the laces stand out.

image

I highlighted using the shiva sticks (love them!) and ironed to heat set it.

Voila!

image

Here's the finished boot next to one that's not been quilted yet.